BY JULYNE DERRICK
UPDATED MARCH 25, 2018
We love a great hydrating body scrub. There's nothing quite like a body scrub done at a Korean spa.
But when we can't get to the spa, we like to give ourselves a good body scrub. There's no need to pay $$$ for a store-bought scrub when you can make one yourself for pennies.
This is a great recipe because it contains ingredients that you typically have in your cupboards (once you buy the capsules and the essential oils, that is) and doesn't rely on fresh ingredients like fruits, yoghurt or milk.
Because it doesn't contain fresh foods, it won't spoil easily. It's also best used with a partner so you can get to those hard-to-reach areas, i.e. your back.
- 1 cup sugar (I use plain sugar but brown sugar works well, too)
- 1/2 cup sweet almond oil (use coconut oil if you don't have almond)
- 5 Vitamin E capsules (get these at the drugstore or a health-food store)
- 10 drops of your favorite essential oil (skip this if you don't have it)
- Place sugar, almond oil and essential oil into a bowl.
- Pierce the Vitamin E capsules and squeeze them into the bowl.
- Mix well. You want a consistency that's not too runny. Add more oil if you like.
- Step into the shower and rinse body so your skin is wet.
- Starting at your neck, work the scrub into skin by massaging in a circular motion. I like to wear exfoliating gloves when I apply this scrub, but don't worry if you don't have any, your hands will do!
- Be sure to massage body scrub into your arms, hands, legs, torso and buttocks. If you can reach your upper and lower back, do so, otherwise ask your partner to help you out. (You can get an exfoliating towel at health food stores, you use them by pulling them back and forth across your back).
- Pay special attention to any super dry areas, such as the backs of your arms, your elbows and your buttocks.
- Once your body is completely exfoliated, rinse in warm water.
- Apply moisturizer to cleansed, scrubbed skin.
The Benefits of Exfoliation
Use this body scrub weekly to keep your skin in tip-top shape. It's important year-round to exfoliate both your face and your body, but I find in winter it's even more important.
Original recipe: https://www.liveabout.com/sweet-almond-oil-body-scrub-recipe-346783
=== split content ===
=== split content ===